Wednesday 3 October 2012

Review of 'Signalman' - Charles Dickens

So I had to choose a short story to study in my English as literature class and I ended up choosing 'The Signalman' by Charles Dickens.
I first read this in my English class in year 9, and I was so very captivated by the whole thriller side to it.

This short story describes the eerie encounter between the narrator and a signalman who works in a very remote place. The two characters, though weary of one another, begin a slight 'friendship' between each other. The signalman, confides the narrator that he sees a ghostly figure inside the train tunnel every time the bell rings. The use of the supernatural really adds tension, mystery and thriller to this story. This is only added to when the narrator, after speaking to the signalman, learns of his tragic death in the train tracks.
The whole story provokes various feelings, from curiosity all the way to fearfulness. 


In my opinion, this is a very good example of a short story. First of all, the settings are extraordinary and very well depicted to add that feeling of loneliness and eeriness to the story. Second, both the narrator and the signalman have very interesting personalities and traits. The fact that the signalman is taken aback to the narrator at the start, but gradually trusts him with these ghostly apparitions, just adds to the whole tension of the story and to the dramatic and drastic ending.
Dickens very carefully, and brilliantly may I add, wrote this story to make it's readers appreciate his better qualities. One of many being depicting horror without giving the conclusion straight away to the reader.
For me, one of the best short stories which I have read to this very day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment